Please continue to reinforce the learner profile with your child or children. This month our focus learner profile attribute is thinker. Thinker means we use critical and creative thinking skills to analyze and take responsible action on complex problems. We exercise initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions.
Our attitude of the month is curiosity. Curiosity has to do with wanting to know more about many things.
Below you will find some ideas for reinforcing the word of the month and the attitude of the month.
Books to support the learner profile thinker:
Websites to support curiosity:
- Encourage your child to read each day for at least twenty minutes. Have him or her describe characters encountered in the reading using learner profile attributes.
- Model the learner profile attributes as often as you can for your child. Children in many cases watch what is done more than what is said.
- Encourage your child to take ACTION. Actions are things we do to help others, or reflect what students have learned from a unit taught in school.
- Volunteer! If you have the time, approach your child’s teacher about the possibility of volunteering in the school. Volunteers are needed in the classrooms and our school garden.
Studies show that high parental involvement in a child’s education improves student performance tremendously!
- Join the PTA! The PTA supports all programs in our school and we really utilize it to provide incentives for our students.
- Encourage your child to continue to practice other learner profile attributes such as being principled and caring. It is important that he or she dress for success daily by wearing the school uniform. In addition parents should stress the importance of following the essential agreements of the school, so that Avondale can continue to be a happy and safe place where all students can learn.
Thanks for your continued support,
Avondale Faculty and Staff